As human grows up, day by day his/her body becomes strong, bone mass increases, youth shines up brighter than sun. But all of these happen for a specific time. Usually this reaches at peak in the age of 30. After that, our body growth rate decreases gradually.
Bone disease or Osteoporosis is a common name for the senior citizens. Osteoporosis is also termed as “porous bones”. No matter how does it sound but this silent disease makes people suffer a lot. Let’s know details of Osteoporosis in this write up and get careful of this beforehand.
What is Osteoporosis?
In a simple sentence, it is a bone disease. It causes patient’s bones break without any previous signs. Hence, it is also called silent disease. This disease causes bones to become so fragile and tender or weak that fall out or stumble can cause breaking bones. In serious cases, simple stretching or coughing or bump can also cause fracture.
Causes of Osteoporosis
When a human turns young, his/her bone mass rises and also new bones are made while breaking down old bones automatically. On the other hand, since people become moldy, their bone mass is lost faster than it’s generated. Apart from growing older, there are some other risk factors which increase the probability of your getting osteoporosis.
- your sex, age, race, family history etc are some unaltered factors. Like – women are at risk than man. Also, it’s seen from research that Asians have much risk. Further, if you have osteoporotic parent or siblings, you are likelihood to have osteoporosis.
- Osteoporosis also causes due to imperfect hormone level. Those, who have too less or too much of certain hormones such as thyroid hormones, sex hormones and hormones of other glands, are at risk of this disease.
- long term uses of some specific medications or in some medical conditions including cancer, kidney or liver disease, lupus, bowel disease, the patients are more likelihood to suffer from this.
- Extravagant lifestyle and some bad habits like tobacco use, alcohol consumption can cause you put at higher risk of this.
Symptoms of Osteoporosis
Usually there doesn’t show any kind of sign of osteoporosis from beforehand. Breaking bones, back pain, stooped presence, bending of backbone etc are common in this disease.
Precautions of Osteoporosis
There’s no treatment for this silent disease. Therefore we can prevent this by following some steps.
- Eat calcium, protein and vitamin D rich food as much as possible. Have a well balanced diet enriched with proper amount of green vegetables, dairy products, fruits and minerals. Consume enough protein to strengthen your bones. Try to avoid low calorie diets.
- Exercises may help you strengthen your bones. Take those exercise of weight bearing and balance training which help your both muscles and bones.
- Let the sun shine on you. We can get lots of vitamin D from the sunlight so smoothly. But in our housebound situation, this isn’t enough. We need to take calcium supplements if needed.
Let’s live healthily and happily.